xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:16:21 -0500

Elliotte Harold scripsit:

> My thought here is to simply restrict all queries to location paths and
> multiple location paths separated by |. (I wish there were a name for
> this.) Is there an alternative to this? Would it be useful to allow
> other XPath expressions that return node-sets, even if they're not full
> location paths?

I recommend that you allow anything that matches the Pattern rule in
XSLT 1.0. This is pretty close to what you describe (it restricts
you to /, //, and @, but allows id() and key() at the top level --
you might want to just have key() match nothing, though).

> My current thinking is that variables simply will not be bound.

Agreed.

> Also a possibility is that the query will simply inherit the namespace
> bindings of the context node,

I like this idea.

> but even if XOM does this, it still wouldn't handle the default
> namespace.

Neither XOM nor XPath has any notion of the default namespace (an NCName
in an XPath refers to the namespace named "", not anything else --
a frequent source of bugs in XPaths).

Everything else looks fine.

--
I am expressing my opinion. When my John Cowan
honorable and gallant friend is called, jcowan AT reutershealth.com