xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Regier Avery J" <RegierAveryJ AT JohnDeere.com>
  • To: "xom-interest" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:14:35 -0600

>I could either create a special Namespace class, to be used just for
>XPath; or I could simply rule out queries that return namespace nodes,
>and throw an exception if one is encountered. I'm leaning toward the
>latter, but not strongly. I might be convinced otherwise.

and

>My thought here is to simply restrict all queries to location paths and
>multiple location paths separated by |.

I'd be disappointed in seeing anything less than 100% conformance. In that
your goals are expressly "correctness, simplicity, and performance, in that
order", I would assume correctness to include completeness. Practically, I'm
working on an internal company messaging spec that may include the use of
XPath and XPointer. If I have to write into the spec limitiations on the use
of XPath because there are no libraries that support the whole spec, it would
be a major pain and negate a lot of the benefit of pointing people to an
existing open spec rather than writing our own and the implementations that
go with it. (With that in mind, I'm all for seeing XPointer support as well.
:)

Thanks,
Avery Regier