xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Regier Avery J <RegierAveryJ AT JohnDeere.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:22:58 -0500

Regier Avery J wrote:

I'd be disappointed in seeing anything less than 100% conformance.
In that your goals are expressly "correctness, simplicity, and performance, in that order", I would assume correctness to include completeness. Practically, I'm working on an internal company messaging spec that may include the use of XPath and XPointer. If I have to write into the spec limitiations on the use of XPath because there are no libraries that support the whole spec, it would be a major pain and negate a lot of the benefit of pointing people to an existing open spec rather than writing our own and the implementations that go with it. (With that in mind, I'm all for seeing XPointer support as well. :)

There is no XPointer specification based on XPath nor is there likely to be. that effort was abandoned. XOM's XInclude engine does implement as much of the XPointer spec as was actually finished.

Completeness is actually not a goal of XOM. Perhaps I should make that explicit. If you look hard, you'll find a few other things that are missing, notably unparsed entities and notations.

Usability is partially a function of knowing what to leave out.