xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: XPath
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:22:47 -0500

Michael Kay wrote:

The JAXP 1.3 API also allows external functions to be bound, which might
seem a little over the top. It depends what you are trying to achieve. Do
you want your XPath engine to be usable, via this API, by a separate XSLT
engine? In that case, you need to provide complete control over all aspects
of context.

I forgot that one, but the answer's easy. User-definable extension functions will not be supported, just like variable binding.

No, I don't expect this API to be usable by a separate XSLT engine. This is just a simple little query language for XOM documents that saves some time writing a lot of nasty navigation code. It's not an all-singing, all-dancing XPath extravaganza!

If you're going to have a second argument, I'd suggest you make it a Context
argument that is extensible to support all possible aspects of the XPath
context. In a single-shot interface this should combine the static and
dynamic context; in a 2-stage compile/run interface you should distinguish
the two.

I'll think about it, but the less I have to add to the public interface to support all this the happier I'll be.