xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: luca <passani AT eunet.no>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:38:19 -0400

luca wrote:

Elliotte Harold wrote:

There are use cases for not resolving entities, but this is on the wrong side of XOM's 80/20 split.

No, it's not.

I would say more than 80% of the documents I see don't have document type declarations. Of those that do, more than 80% use relative URLs that point to local files. And of those that don't, more than 80% can be rewritten at the source to use local copies instead.

What about all of the XHTML content out there?.

TagSoup is your friend. :-)

All of the config
files (TLDs,web.xml,server.xml) which we just need to parse
without hitting the sun.com website?

If these can't be changed to point to local copies, then a SAX EntityResolver can do the trick. As I said, I'll look at ways of making this simpler in future versions post-1.0.