xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: luca <passani AT eunet.no>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:53:06 +0200

Elliotte Harold wrote:
It seems likely that you had a temporary DNS glitch that prevented the parser from downloading the remote DTD. If you control the documents you're parsing, replace the reference to wapforum.org with a local copy of your DTD. If you don't control the documents you're parsing, you could use a SAX EntityResolver such as Norm Walsh's catalog filter to do this for you. Native XOM catalog support is on the TODO list for sometime post-1.0.

mmm. Unfortunately I don't control the XML document. This is always
about the same issue of using XOM to parse WML/XHTML-MP mark-up
and extract img references. There is not much use for a DTD for me.
There must be an easy way to tell XOM (or whatever lies beneath XOM)
to ignore DTDs.
Generally speaking the idea of making the well-functioning
of a software system dependent on a resource out of one's control
does not seem wise to me and I definitely want to avoid this situation
in my system.

Also, it's unlikely that it was a DNS glitch. The resource is available
on the net and I even rebooted my PC to make it absolutely sure.

thank you

Luca