xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: luca <passani AT eunet.no>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:43:20 -0400

luca wrote:

mmm. Unfortunately I don't control the XML document. This is always
about the same issue of using XOM to parse WML/XHTML-MP mark-up
and extract img references. There is not much use for a DTD for me.
There must be an easy way to tell XOM (or whatever lies beneath XOM)
to ignore DTDs.

There is not. This is a deliberate design decision. In my opinion, always processing the full DTD is the safest option for working with XML. It's the 80/20 cut, I made.

Generally speaking the idea of making the well-functioning
of a software system dependent on a resource out of one's control
does not seem wise to me and I definitely want to avoid this situation
in my system.

I agree. My response is that this design flaw is built into XML. XOM faithfully models XML, including its warts and ugly parts like the necessity of the external DTD subset in order to guarantee that you receive the document's full and correct information content. External DTD subsets can affect:

1. Default attribute values
2. Entity replacement text
3. Attribute normalization