xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: luca <passani AT eunet.no>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] dtd problems
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:50:05 +0200

Elliotte Harold wrote:

There is not. This is a deliberate design decision. In my opinion, always processing the full DTD is the safest option for working with XML. It's the 80/20 cut, I made.

I don't quite get why this is on the 20 side. It seems to be on
the 80 side to me.

Generally speaking the idea of making the well-functioning
of a software system dependent on a resource out of one's control
does not seem wise to me and I definitely want to avoid this situation
in my system.

I agree. My response is that this design flaw is built into XML.

as someone else said, this can go in the way of leading
people to refuse XML, a technology that should have been
simple by definition, but obviously is not.

XOM faithfully models XML, including its warts and ugly parts like the necessity of the external DTD subset in order to guarantee that you receive the document's full and correct information content. External DTD subsets can affect:

1. Default attribute values
2. Entity replacement text
3. Attribute normalization

mmmm, I don't get it. How hard could it be to have

Builder builder = new Builder();
builder.ignoreDtdNoMatterWhat();

?

Luca