xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Uncompressed jar (xom-1.0d25.jar) has limited appeal

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Mike Fitzgerald <mikefz AT wyeast.net>
  • To: Janek Bogucki <janekdb AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Uncompressed jar (xom-1.0d25.jar) has limited appeal
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:57:48 -0700

Janek Bogucki wrote:
Changing build.xml to generate a compressed jar would definitely improve
XOM's golf score.

In Ant's jar task, compress defaults to true. [1] In the current version of build.xml for XOM, compress="no". For most users of XOM, it seems trivial to rebuild with compression on, if you want it that way, so I am not sure this is a huge issue, unless I am mistaking the XOM audience. I am curious, though, for my own edification, to know why compression was consciously turned off.

Mike

[1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/jar.html