xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Dropping subclass checking

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT cs.okstate.edu>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Dropping subclass checking
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:47:40 -0600

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:

> At 8:49 AM -0600 2/18/04, Bradley S. Huffman wrote:
>
> >> It is a big batch of methods I admit, but they are protected so
> >> they're fairly obviously distinguished from the basic public methods.
> >
> >Would having the default doc build as "javadoc -public" help?
>
> That's certainly an option. However, most JavaDocs default to public
> and protected,. The question is how one could provide only public
> documentation by default but still let developers know there's also a
> protected API they might useful.

A note in the javadocs :-) Ideally it'd be nice to have it on the overview
page, but I'm not a javadoc expert and always use the default settings.

Worse comes to worse you could change the build file to have targets
"javadoc-user" and "javadoc-dev", and since you build file prints out a
help menu for unknown options, anyone running "ant javadoc" would quickly
see the appropiate target.

Brad