xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Dropping subclass checking

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Dropping subclass checking
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:43:46 -0800

Hi,

Speaking of "Last call for changes", I suggest dropping "user space" methods that are unimplemented, yet allow sublcasses to check for various correctness criteria. Note that I do not propose removing XML comformance checks and other checks.

To me this overriding functionality/ability is a nice but unnecessary goody (if anyone out there is actually using this let us know), and it substantially complicates understanding and implementing the xom code base. So I think this part of xom is overdesigned. These methods are:

ParentNode.checkInsertChild
ParentNode.checkRemoveChild
Element.checkAddAttribute
Element.checkRemoveAttribute
Element.checkAddNamespaceDeclaration
Element.checkRemoveNamespaceDeclaration
Element.checkLocalName
Attribute.checkLocalName
Attribute.checkNamespace
Element.checkNamespacePrefix
Element.checkNamespaceURI
Element.checkAddNamespaceDeclaration
Element.checkAddAttribute
Node.checkDetach
DocType.checkPublicID
DocType.checkSystemID
Document.checkRoot
DocType.checkRootElementName
ProcessingInstruction.checkTarget
Attribute.checkType
{Attribute,Comment,ProcessingInstruction,Text}.checkValue
(Search for methods matching "check*")

Similarly, there is no real need for "somewhat atomic" inserts/removes as seem to be currently shaping up in CVS. They are nice goodies, but introduce complexity for little real benefit. My take is that usecases are not particularly convincing and that it looks a little like a solution searching for a problem.

Relax, lay back and contemplate simplifying and improving xom in these respects.
Any opinions?

Regards,
Wolfgang.