xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Base URIs

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Laurent Bihanic <laurent.bihanic AT atosorigin.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Base URIs
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:52:51 -0400

At 10:00 AM +0200 9/26/02, Laurent Bihanic wrote:

IMHO, relying on package-protected access is a bad idea. We have to keep in mind the problems JDOM always had with inputters and outputters: Almost every field and method has become public because the default outputters (SAX or XML) needed to be derived to support specific use cases.

This is one of JDOM's mistakes I learned from. You'll notice XOM doesn't have separate input and output packages. It's all part of the core. That's specifically to enable package access.

This lets me do lots of cool things. For instance, it would be possible to maintain a package protected isCDATA field between the builder so CDATA sections from the input could still be CDATA in the output with no user intervention. It would also be possible to rely on the parser for well-formedness checking and not use Verifier. I haven't implemented either of these ideas yet since they would not impact the public or protected APIs.

We need to find a way to either ease subclassing of these or prevent it by using "pluggable behaviour classes" like TextWriter.

Do you have something specific in mind?

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |