wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 17:37:22 -0400

Hey everybody,

There’s a ton of stuff to look forward to on WXYC this week! Check it out:

Tonight on the Inside Track, tune in for Trotro, the most recent release from DJ Katapila on Awesome Tapes From Africa. DJ Katapila (Ishmael Abbey) is a DJ from Accra, Ghana and this is a recent issue of his 2009 tape release. Named for the popular minibus taxis of Ghana, this album forms up-tempo, driving beats in the Ga traditional dance style. There is a noticeable influence from American dance music from the 80’s and 90’s, including Detroit techno and Chicago acid house. Beeps, boops, and 808 goodness. Katapila often yells and raps over his beats adding a feeling of genuine fun and spontaneity to the mix.

On tonight's New Science Experience we will be continuing our NSE Technician Showcase. The Technician Showcase is the culmination of our newly minted NSE Technician Training program led by NSE coordinators earlier last month. We worked with 15 WXYC DJs to show them how to use our fancy industry-standard club DJing equipment. They'll be taking over the NSE airwaves through the end of the month demonstrating their new skills.Tonight we'll hear sets from Wesley D, Marc T, Bridget W. Check it out from 10pm to midnight!

Tune into this Sunday's Hell or High Water at 1pm for a groovy special close to home when we feature songs from Tobacco-A-Go-Go, a Durham, NC release off of Blue Mold Records. This 3-volume compilation features 1960s rock n roll, psychedelia, and more—all from the great state of North Carolina. Compiled by WXYC alum and goes-without-saying music freak Ken Friedman, this is a show you don't want to miss, y'all.

Monday’s Outside Track at 9pm will feature Relucent, a new release from longtime Chicago-based percussionist Tim Daisy. While Daisy has been involved with some of the city's leading avant-garde jazz efforts (the Vandermark Five and the NRG Ensemble to name two) as well as lots of excellent collaborations (with, among others, Jeb Bishop, Jeff Parker and the late Fred Anderson), Relucent marks his first full-length foray into the world of multitracked solo improvisations. Utilizing a whole battery of percussive tools (marimba, cowbell, hi-hat, bongo to name a few) as well as electronic manipulations of turntables, Daisy offers up an engaging set of tracks that are chock-full of thumps, rattles, gurgles and hisses.

And join host Michael P on this week’s Thursday Night Feature for a tour through the catalog of Paradise of Bachelors alongside the label's main married man Brendan Greaves. Since Twenty-aught Ten, over a score and five records, PoB has remained deeply rooted amidst worldwide acclaim. PoB reissues are celebrated for their resonance with contemporary politics as well as popular culture, and we'll put em in sonic and historical dialogue with PoB's releases of new music across a widening array of vernacular american genres. Let's hear some of Brendan's favorites, along with a story or two about them - and hear about their upcoming release of two classic Terry Allen albums! Catch the show Thursday from 9pm to midnight.