wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:39:27 -0400

Hey everybody,

Hope your Friday is going well. If it’s not, good news: WXYC’s bringing lots of cool stuff your way this week. Check it out:

Tonight on the Inside Track, tune in for Once Upon a Time in Japan, a compilation of 15 hot cuts of Japanese house from the early to mid 90’s,compiled by French DJs Brawther & Alixkun. Expect lots of lush synthesizers and soulful vocals. Some tracks show producers taking a basic house template and mixing it with more traditional Japanese sounds, others wouldn’t sound out of place on a comp of American house from the same time. An interesting comp with plenty of different moods and sounds to explore!

On tonight's New Science Experience we will be continuing our NSE Technician Showcase. The Technician Showcase is the culmination of the NSE Technician Training program led by NSE coordinators earlier last month. We worked with 15 WXYC DJs to show them how to use our fancy industry-standard club DJing equipment and asked them to prepare a set to play during the NSE. Tonight we'll hear sets from Trent, Kyle and Julia. Tune in from 10pm to midnight!

This Sunday, from 1 to 2pm, join us in exploring the traditions of the American South on Hell or High Water! The hour will feature music from the shelves of UNC's renowned Southern Folklife Collection, one of the nation's most illustrious archival resources for American folk music and culture. A WXYC DJ will put everything in its context throughout the show, letting you know where we are, where we've been, and who's been there.

Sunday afternoon, Broken Music will features works by experimental ensemble Common Objects. The group pulls its members from the worlds of improvised music and sound art, calling on saxophonist John Butcher, Rhodri Davies on amplified harp, violinist Angharad Davies, and the amplified objects of Lee Patterson. Together, they explore the timbrel options of their instruments with great patience, crafting spacious works that cast a spotlight on an unusual juxtaposition of textures. Their recordings capture the group in a variety of modes, some completely improvised and others responding to Rhodri Davies' graphic scores. The show begins at 2pm.

And Monday’s Outside Track at 9pm will feature MI WO, a new release from Japanese artist Ytamo. Conceived as an accompaniment to an exhibition by the Argentine plush sculptor Natali Katz, it somehow sounds just like that. Ytamo kneads a swath of synths, horns, bells, clicks, plucks, snaps, and other electric detritus into sticky groovers that tighten up over the course of the album - hard to describe, but easy to enjoy.