wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:33:47 -0400

what's up everyone,
another week gone; classic.  hope y'all are doing okay.  if you feel at a loss for things to do now that the heels are outta the ncaa tournament, check out the cool stuff comin up this week on WXYC's specialty shows:

Friday night on the Inside Track tune in to hear rockin jams for 60's teen band We the People / American Zoo. Despite their young age, these teens from LA play top notch garage-psych as youths and have grown up to do some other cool stuff - the guitar player became a Grammy award-winning producer, the drummer toured with Frank Zappa and is now a well-known avant-garde sculpter. But this prequel to their artistic lives is a straight-up rock n roll party.

On tonight's NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE we've got 60 minutes of funk soul n disco from nse resident dj crew the MARGARITA BOYS then 60 minutes of laptop based beats from techno nomad XEROME, who is also playing the Backyard BBQ this Sunday at CHUG. check it out - ten to midnight!

This week on Hell or High Water, we're traveling south to hear the fiddle works of the Stripling Brothers. Born in Pickens County, AL, the Stripling Brothers, Charlie and Ira, recorded 42 ditties for the Brunswick and Decca labels between 1928 and 1936. Growing up, Charlie dominated the fiddling competition circuit and through these recordings it quickly becomes apparent why. Tune in to hear these versatile brothers play traditional dance tunes from their home region as well as more popular sounds associated with the urban North. Sunday from 1pm-2pm

Tune in to Broken Music at 2pm this Sunday to hear excerpts from a recent two CD set of recent recordings from the British avant-garde composer Natasha Barrett. Peat and Polymer, out on the uniformly-excellent Norwegian experimental label +3dB. Barrett has been living in Oslo since 1998 as the head of the Norwegian International Confederation of Electroacoustic Music and these recordings, culled from both live performances, installations and field recordings, serve as a striking portrait of her recent contributions to the world of electroacoustic music.

This episode of Skate Salon we will be talking to Josiah Gatlyn, ex-amateur skateboarder, about his rise and departure from the skateboard industry, as well as the "portrait video" - the genre of skateboard video that documents a specific time, place, and style of skateboard culture. The show begins at 5pm on Sunday.

This week on Sports Rap: UNC lost :(. We'll talk about that and how the rest of college basketball kind of sucks. Then we'll check in with the NBA, which just has a few weeks left before its playoffs start. We will discuss how dope it is. You know the night (Sunday) and the time (9 p.m.). Probably.

This Monday night, tune in to the Outside Track and hear the newest from amazing free improve quartet of notable Norwegian women Kristin Anderson, Lene Grenager, Maja Ratkje, and Hild Sofie Tafjord a.k.a. Spunk. This album is three long pieces composed for choreographer Odd Johan Fritzoe’s dance performance in Oslo, 2013. These women really draw some of the most interesting and surprising sounds from their instruments (including voice here) to put together a surreal and confounding album. The collection of sounds and the compositions are beautiful.

This week on Sisters Where we'll be discussing the intersection of Poetry and Astrology. That means you'll hear poems about the zodiac, poems about outer space, and discussions about ths signs of our favorite poets. In addition we'll be celebrating Aries Season! We're very excited to be joined by an extra special guest host Blanche B. Tune in on Wednesday night at 9pm!