wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 20:16:03 -0500

hi everyone,
duke game's tomorrow! you know what that means: we've got another week of really good specialty programming ahead of us on wxyc. let's take a peek (and sorry about any possible formatting issues, announcing on the go!)

Tune in this week at 9 PM on WXYC for an awesome Inside Track featuring music from Ryley Walker's new release Primrose Green. Ryley Walker is a party boy in his mid-20s from Chicago who is already something of a veteran musician, playing in noise and free jazz crews until apparently claiming he wanted to make “folk rock songs that would define a generation.”  Since then he’s been releases really really good acoustic guitar rockers very much in the vein of Burt Jansch.  Primrose Green is his last effort and pretty clearly his best.  He is joined by a band of dudes who I’m pretty sure are veteran free jazz players from the Chicago scene.  Their support is a HUGE fact in the album, as perfect, loose rhythm section and jazzy, potted-up keys and electric guitar give these tunes a freer feel.  Ryley’s singing is pretty much on point. He shows pretty awesome control over his gutsy, pastoral voice as he recycles super similar vocal embellishments that elicit no complaint from me.

Tonight on the New Science Experience local beatmaker MATT STEVENSON will be doing 90 minutes of live techno music for you to listen to from 10:30 to midnight! It'll be really sweet and you should listen to it.

This week on Hell or High Water, we're going to revisit the 1950s doowop craze through exploring the stylings of the Del Vikings. The genesis of the Del Vikings is tethered to Pittsburgh, PA, but this salt and pepper group helped to deconstruct the segregated cultural spaces within and without the South. Tune in to hear these powerful voices from 1pm-2pm.

Sunday afternoon, Broken Music pays tribute to the late American tape music composer Tod Dockstader. Born in St. Paul, MN, Dockstader arrived in Hollywood in the mid 1950s seeking work as a film editor. He soon became involved in sound engineering and with that equipment began carving out his own visionary take on tape manipulation and composition. Dockstader was rare amongst American tape music composers of the era in that he lacked an academic background. He often faced difficulty gaining access to an electronic studio and the majority of his early works were released on his own Owl imprint. Dockstader returned to music production in the mid 2000s, crafting a series of computer-based works. He passed away in late February of this year. Our show begins at 2pm.

WXYC Reports, WXYC's bimonthly audio documentary / collage / "reporting" show, is back again this week with a show on the Black Lunch Table. Tune in from 5-6 on Sunday!

Oh man. Sports Rap Sunday night at 9 p.m. is gonna be legendary, y'all. We'll either be breaking down the Duke game with the most triumphant elation you've ever heard on a sports talk radio show — or dissecting a tragedy of epic proportions. Plus, wtf Russell Westbrook. And other NBA stuff. Tune in!

Let's get spooky on Monday with the Outside Track as we explore some dark techno from Vril's new release Portal. Vril is an European artist who has put out a number of techno releases on labels such as Giegling, Forum, and now Delsin. All the tracks except the last one are 6-7 minute techno jams featuring slowly changing synths, inventive percussive effects, and somewhat ridiculous bass response (so ridiculously loud initially that apparently this album broke the machine it was to be mastered on). The tracks are all readily danceable and catchy, and most make slight alterations over time to an ever-present sampled theme. The tracks are primitively hypnotic and easy to get lost in. Enjoy!