wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:54:36 -0500

hey everyone!
hope your weekends are off to an all right start.  personally, i'm feeling pretty good - WXYC just hired new DJs, the sun shone its beautiful baby face this morning, and we've got a good ol' week of WXYC specialty programming ahead of us.  let's see what's in store:

Has your week also been potentially too #hype? Well it's time to cool your jets and practice some relaxation techniques tonight at 9pm to hear pianist Philip Corner's album Satie Slowly on the Inside Track. Conceptually a fairly basic idea: play the music of Erik Satie slowly, yet with a result that is spellbinding.  This beta-wave inducing beauty will certainly calm your nerves.

The New Science Experience is very excited to have Dublin-based DJ Alex Milne-Turner back on the show. Tune in from ten to midnight to hear some seriously funky tunes. We'll also be live streaming the set on our Ustream channel :: ustream.tv/channel/wxyc-nse

This week on Hell or High Water, we will be delving into a release entitled Trinidad Loves to Play Carnival: Carnival, Calenda, and Calypso, 1914-1939. Although rooted in Trinidad, throughout this release one can hear French Creole inspired sounds. Tune in from 1 to 2 to navigate this music with us.

What's that, you ask?  It's another episode of Broken Music, WXYC's show dedicated to more challenging or longer-form musics.  Tune in on Sunday from 2-3pm to settle in to some arguably unsettling sounds.

Another week, another Sports Rap. This Sunday we'll talk about UNC's victory over UNC-Raleigh, some NFL, some NBA and we'll recap the NCAA football championship. You know, the good stuff. Tune in Sunday night at 9 p.m.!

Fans of the Music from Sub-Saharan Cellphones comp rejoice! This Monday at 9pm the Outside Track will feature a re-release of debut album of Nigerian artist Mdou Moctar originally recorded in 2008 but never officially released. Instead Anar was widely circulated via cellular file sharing networks of the Sahara. This album was momentous not only as it stood at the forefront of the first modern adaptations of Taureg guitar and Moctar's relational use of spaced-out auto-tune vocals, but also for the blending of elements of Bollywood-influenced Hausa pop.