wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 19:41:38 -0500

greetings friends,
hope your years are off to a good start.  let's check out what's going down on WXYC this week.

Tune in Friday Night at 9 PM for the Inside Track for a great new release from fringe popular act Peaking Lights.  This husband and wife duo from LA returns with Cosmic Logic, which offers some fresh takes on their signature, dubbed out psychedelic sounds.  We promise you'll like it!

Tune in to the New Science Experience tonight to a hear an excellent minimal techno set by the legendary Austin DJ Bill Converse (https://soundcloud.com/billconverse). Check it out from ten to midnight for a dark n crunchy yet soothing n uplifting mix.

This week on Hell or High Water, we are going deep into the realm of the radio. Playing historic radio pieces from years past, we're going to be playing radio on the radio! Featuring artists like Mac O'Dell and Sons of the Pioneers, it's bound to be a good time and will evoke whimsically nostalgic scenes of the West and the rambling spirits of all us Americans. So get behind the wheel of a car on the open road or on a bus with a Walkman and tune in from 1-2pm on Sunday

Tune in to Broken Music at 2pm this Sunday to hear excerpts from the recent limited-edition 2 CD Phenomenal World, a set of recordings from Japanese experimental musician and instrument builder Makoto Oshiro. Over the course of the hour we will listen to Oshiro coaxing and torturing all sorts of unique devices, resulting in a challenging but interesting sets of groans, whirls and churns.

We have another Sunday coming up, which means it'll be time for another Sports Rap! We'll breakdown UNC vs. Louisville, NFL stuff, including the Panthers' impending defeat at the hands of the Seahawks, and one of the best NBA trades of all time, a trade that juuuuust remotely gives J.R. Smith a shot at winning an NBA Championship. If such an event should occur, Sports Rap may cease to exist — there may be no point in going on because there could be nothing greater in the world of sports than J.R. "You trying to get the pipe?" Smith holding up the Larry O'Brien trophy. Tune in Sunday at 9 p.m. for an hour of greatness.

The Outside Track is begging you to listen Monday night at 9 PM. This week, you can catch a killer new LP entitled Red Moon from Caethua, a forest-dwelling mystery freak-folk artist who has rocked Chapel Hill/Carrboro with wonderful performances in the past few years.  Drawing comparison from famed names like Karen Dalton or PJ Harvey, Caethua's music does its "folk" modifier justice with gorgeous melodies and acoustic instrumentation, but never fails to introduce the heavy, psychedelic vibes into her aural landscape.  Don't miss it!

Listen to the unveiling of WXYC’s top 20 releases on this week’s Thursday Night Feature. Your favorite DJs will talk about their favorite records from 2014. Whether you want to see where an album lands or listen to new music that you might have missed, this show has you covered. This year does not have a clear winner like years past, so it’s sure to spark plenty of discussion. Who’s number one? Find out at 9 o’clock Thursday.