wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:00:59 -0500

lookee here,
how's it going everybody?  it's december 19th - you know what that means! not much, but it's also friday - which means we're all gathered round the screens of our computers, smartphones, and maybe tablets? to finally, finally get a glimpse of what's going on on WXYC this week.  settle down, everyone; it's all right here!  take a peek:

Hey turn on the Inside Track at 9 PM on WXYC to catch a new killer release from Weyes Blood entitled The Innocents. Weyes Blood is the project of Natalie Mering, a musician that has been behind the scenes of a lot of big hit indie recording artists of recent years (Jackie-O Motherfucker, Ariel Pink, among others). This is her fourth release and probably the tightest, best executed release yet.  Mering's engaging style of freaky folk includes dark drones, unforgettable melodies, and stunning vocal arrangements.  Don't miss this one!

On tonight's New Science Experience WXYC's own DJ HI_MOM will be playing his favorite house and techno tracks from the past 40 years. Tune in for the likes of Detroit In Effect, Kane West, Tiga and more! Check it out from ten to midnight to get yr rump a-groovin'.

From 1-2pm on Sunday we're bringing you another Hell or High Water, WXYC's show in which we broadcast special archived recordings from UNC's very own Southern Folklife Collection housed in Wilson Library.  Tune in for a special show on your Sunday afternoon.

Sunday afternoon, join in as Broken Music reviews Canadian born, Seattle based K. Leimer's bizarre take on ambient and new age music. With a pawn shop arsenal of consumer market synths and multi-track tape machines, Leimer crafted a homespun vision of the cosmic music from overseas he'd read about. Unique to his work is a certain grit and starkness rarely associated with the dreamy keyboard music of the time. With his wife, Dorothy Cross, he founded the Palace of Lights label, a clearinghouse for the curious experimental work emerging around Seattle in the late 1970s. Our show begins at 2pm.

Sports Rap is back this week with its first live show in months! We'll break down UNC basketball's performance against Ohio State and preview UNC football's bowl game against Rutgers. We'll also talk about NBA developments including the Rondo to Dallas trade and whether we think the Thunder can still make the playoffs. Join us Sunday night at 9 — or else.

The Outside Track returns this Monday at 9 PM with a new one from the folks at Light In The Attic. In the frenzied reissue culture of recent years, it's hard to sit back and truly contextualize and appreciate the history of some of the music that is constantly thrown in our faces.  The new archival compilation from Light In The Attic entitled Native North America Vol 1. Aboriginal Folk, Rock and Country 1966-1985 is an audio and physical document that fights against this trend.  Compiling "unheard, criminally undocumented, but at their core, utterly revolutionary" recordings of mostly First Nations peoples of the northern reaches of the continent, this release serves as on of the sole investigations into this musical history.  Within you'll hear stunning garage rippers, protest country songs and lovely folk pieces.  The 2CD package includes a 100+ page booklet describing the history and context of these performers.  Amazing release!