wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 20:26:45 -0500

hi there,
happy boxing day!  hope y'all are doing well.  let's see what's going on at WXYC this week to bid a sweet, sweet "good riddance" to 2014:

Tune in for the Inside Track Friday night at 9 PM for a new one from the inexplicable artist Dean Blunt.  Originally a member of the equally inexplicable Hype Williams duo, Dean Blunt has made a career for himself as a hyper-prolific solo artist.  The new release Black Metal is more of his turned down, double-post-modern, RnB and soft-rock collage rockers.  Tune in and be confounded.

This week's New Science Experience has local DJ and producer Jack Ward blessing our decks with two hours of downtempo weirdo beats blossoming into blissful house n techno. It should be nice. Check it out - ten to midnight tonight!

As always, Hell or High Water will be delivering special selections of archival audio from UNC's Wilson Library's Southern Folklife Collection from 1-2pm on Sunday.  Be sure to tune in!

This week on Broken Music we will play a few of the recent recordings of Swiss experimental artist Francisco Meirino. Recording and performing as Phroq and then under his own name since the early 1990s, Meirino combines manipulations of programmed sounds, anachronistic devices like reel-to-reel tape recorders and analog synthesizers, and field recordings from devices including can openers, flushing toilets, Pop Rocks, and industrial ventilation systems. Over the years he has recorded or played live with Lasse Marhaug, Michael Esposito, Tim Olive, Kiko Esseiva, Mike Shiflet, and many many more.  On Sunday, December 28 from 2-3pm we will play portions 5-6 of the 10 releases he has put out in 2014 on labels like Entr'acte, Misanthropic Agenda, and Impulsive Habitat including splits/collaborative releases with llios and Gerritt Wittmer.

Sports Rap is coming at you again this Sunday night, 9-10pm.  This week's topic?  Sports!  Be sure to give us a listen.

Don’t forget about the Outside Track every Monday night at 9 PM.  This week we are exploring a new release from Egyptian experimenter Maurice Louca. Maurice Louca is an Egypt-based experimental musician and veteran collaborator whose work has been described by one critic as “work of bruising intensity, and also unexpected beauty. This isn’t post-industrialist, or post-rock, but rather post-everything.”  We buy it. These are intense pieces built up from seemingly sampled percussive fragments, making everything extremely rhythmic and tonally diverse.  Rhythmic elements are supplemented by heavy, virtuosic organ or keyboard work and vocal samples, which turns these tracks into perfectly appropriate club music.  Every track is overwhelmingly jam packed with sound.  Don’t miss it!