wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 20:34:48 -0500

happy friday to all y'all,
hope it's been a good week and that y'all have kept warm.  as we prepare to gather round various proverbial tables and eat variations on the same prescribed meal (or not!), let's remember what we're really thankful for: free form radio.  we've got some sweet stuff going on on air this week:

Wow dang let's do an Inside Track, Friday night at 9 PM. This week we are going to dig DEEP into some Spanish Garage "nuggets," I term I try to never use.  We'll be playing a brand new release from Munster Records entitled Algo Salvaje, a massive, well-researched collection of your favorite unheard Spanish Garage and Beat 45s.  These are some fuzz guitar, vocally arranged rippers and we've got an hours worth of em! Tune in and experience the Spanish Invasion.

It's Friday night and you know what that means - another set of bangers on the New Science Experience, WXYC's "beat-oriented"/dance music show from 10pm til midnight.

This week on Hell or High Water, we're going up North to Cleveland to listen to the soul sounds of this often forgotten city. Tune in from 1-2pm on Sunday.

Sunday afternoon, Broken Music reviews the recorded work of American violinist Malcolm Goldstein. Goldstein is widely renowned as a composer and performer of New Music, both as a member of the Judson Dance Theater and as a solo performer. His solo violin performances breathed new life into the instrument, exploring the tonal and textural range of the instrument in a manner few before him had considered. Our show begins at 2pm.

On Sports Rap this week, we'll discuss the Wainstein stuff we were supposed to do last week — specifically, the likelihood that other departments were involved. We'll also discuss UNC's satisfying conclusion to its football season and the just-starting UNC basketball season. Finally, we'll soliloquy about what a fun start to the NBA season we've had, especially the awesome story that is the Sacramento Kings being kinda good. Listen in at 9 p.m. Sunday night!

Catch us Monday at 9 PM for the Outside Track.  This week we are going way outside with a recently issued compilation LP of the works of Pip Proud, a truly far-out Australian musician. The songs on this album are made up of off tune, off beat guitar strumming, on top of which Pip recites his dense, mostly free verse, poetry. His poetry is whimsical and sad, and his narratives seem drawn from his lonely, often beautiful outsider perspective. Tune in and enjoy this killer release!