wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 17:48:39 -0500

hey there everybody,
big day to celebrate today: let's give a big HELL YES & HAPPY BIRTHDAY to WXYC's LIVE STREAM!  today marks the 20th anniversary for WXYC's live stream, widely known and recognized as the first online radio broadcast.  XYC's online stream represents one of our greatest categories of listenership and should be celebrated today (if not every day).  what better way to do that than to listen to WXYC's specialty programming?  no better way.  let's have a look:

This week we bring you a killer Inside Track, Friday night at 9 PM.  Tune in for the new one from Steven Gunn, a longtime WXYC favorite.  His new release, Way Out Weather,comes from local label Paradise of Bachelor’s and it is no doubt a hit.  Steve’s signature pastoral crooning and grooving reaches new heights with backing band contributions from other WXYC’s sweethearts Nathan Bowles and Marry Lattimore (an WXYC DJ herself!).  This folky rock tunes will dig into your ear and never leave.  Tune in and enjoy!

Tonight's NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE will feature local dj/producer and NSE regular ARCHAELI. Tune in from ten to midnight to catch his 'Get Your Back Up Off The Wall" mix - two solid hours of techno boogie jam on it goodness and original productions!

As the politics of North Carolina continue to sprint away from democratic ideals and towards oppressing its people, this week Hell or High Water will feature Freedom songs from the 1960s Civil Rights Movement. Tune in from 1-2pm to tether past to present!

Tune in to Broken Music this Sunday from 2-3pm for an hour-long overview of the prolific and talented Massachusetts-based noise manipulator John Hudak. After graduating from the Naropa Institute of the Arts in 1979, Hudak has been steadily recording and performing, including collaborative works with, among others, Merzbow, Jeph Jerman, Stephan Mathieu, Jason Lescalleet, Daniel Menche and If, Bwana. While obviously not possible to address everything he's recorded over the past three decades, we will listen to a sample of recordings spanning his career to date.

We've got another groovy episode of Sports Rap coming at you this week. The consequences of the Wainstein Report aren't done, but we're going to talk more on-the-court stuff this week. First up, we'll discuss Football's game against Pitt and what we think the rest of the season will look like. Then we'll delve into wild and premature speculation about the quality of the basketball team based on two meaningless exhibitions (like Justin Jackson = next Kevin Durant). Finally, we'll talk the beginning of the NBA season. Are the Cavs bad? Are the Kings good? Will refs please ease up with the whistles on blind James Harden drives? All that and more Sunday night at 9 pm!

Monday night brings the Outside Track at 9 PM.  This week we’ve got a special one from the Finnish archives.  Tune in and catch the Jone Takamäki Trio with some true spiritual jazz scorchers on the LP masterpiece Universal Mind.  Previous Arthur Russell reissuers Arc Light dug this one out of the Finnish avant-garde vaults to bring back a nearly forgotten piece of moody enlightenment.  The trio indulges in bells and chimes to generate an almost new-age atmosphere which is gentled pierced by melodic explorations based on traditional Indian love songs.  Well thought out, executed and enjoyed.  Tune in!