wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:30:43 -0500

Heck yeah! We beat Duke! I don't want to say it was 100% XYC's doing...but it's hard to imagine that the presence of our radio signal in the Dean Dome didn't absolutely hamper Duke's ability to play. We put together an absolutely stellar week or programming to celebrate this victory; check it out!

As you was the painted-on UNC blue tuxedo from your skin, tune in at 9 pm Friday (tonight) for The Inside Track, a new album of radio recordings from Sublime Frequencies, Radio NigerRadio Niger first broadcast in 1958 and was renamed Voix du Sahel in 1974. The Broadcasting Corporation of Niger State was established in 1979. For decades, it’s been disseminating the folk & pop music, choral ensembles, guitar blues trance, outlaw DJ outbursts, and storytelling of a nation that boasts somewhere between 8 and 20 indigenous languages. In this compilation, recorded on site by Hisham Mayat, you’ll hear RFI and BBC news snippets, DJs singing along, listener shout outs.

Tonight on WXYC's beat-oriented-music-show (that's the New Science Experience in case ya didn't know) we're featuring two in-house DJs spinnin some tunes JUST4YOU! You'll hear a continuous mix of deep house and disco from DJ Alex B, and some left-field rock and MORE DISCO from DJ Andy S. If you need something to soundtrack getting ready for a night out then Check It Out

This week on Hell Or High Water, Gina B will be playing selections from a compilation of popular swing music from the mid-thirties to the mid-forties.  Artists will (of course) include Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Guy Lombardo, and more.  Tune in on Sunday at 1pm!

This Sunday at 2pm, Broken Music is pleased to host an in-studio performance by Greg Stuart & Joe Panzner. The duo is responsible for last year's Dystonia Duos cd on ErstAEU, an assertive and restrained mash of percussion and electronics. Stuart is a South Carolina-based percussionist and frequent collaborator with Michael Pisaro. Panzner is a computer musician and audio engineer operating out of Columbus, OH.

This Sunday, from 5-6pm, tune in to WXYC Reports for a to-be-determined re-run of a past episode! And then, join us again on March 3/23 for our next new episode!

Local tunes at 8 PM Sunday with your host Lincoln S on The Backyard BBQ. Riffs and raffs, jims and jams, bits and beats, a holistic view of music from the Triangle.

Tune in from 9-10PM on Sunday to hear hosts Reilly, Ryan, and Josephine having a ball on Sports Rap--possibly with friends! The crew will likely discuss the following sportopics: the UNC men's basketball team defeating the Duke men's basketball team, Coach K, how-to-dry-a-basketball-court-with-a-towel, NBA trade deadline trades, and more! Slamma Jamma! Listen live and participate @dunksbutts

Lend us yo ears at 9 pm on Monday for The Outside Track, which will feature The Meets' debut LP, It Happens Outside. The Meets is a band constructed by Johnstown, PA’s Brandon Locher, a 28-year-old artist who recorded with various musicians one at a time as they passed through town, cutting and layering the drums, trumpets, vibraphones, cellos, and field recordings into a slightly lounge yet rather zany jazz album that sounds like if Tortoise was less tight and more fun to hang out with.

Houston, we have a feature:  On this weeks’ Thursday Night Feature, DJ Lorraine B. hosts three hours of space film soundtracks.  Leave the SETI radio alone for just a minute or two and tune into WXYC 89.3.  Nine to midnight is THE space-time continuum!