wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 19:12:12 -0500

Greetings! Welcome a special Saturday editions of the weekly email. How is everyone? Did you survive the winter storm? Please forward any pictures of dogs in last week’s snow to my personal email account. Thank you.  Let’s see what we’ve got cooked up…

Hell Or High Water
returns Sunday at 1 PM with an hour of female delta blues musicians culled from Wilson Library’s Southern Folklife Collection by DJ Kiever H.  Tune in for an hour of traditional tunes during the Sunday thaw.

Broken Music
breaks the airwaves at 2 PM with an hour of experimental, weirdo, strange or otherwise “difficult” music brought to you by DJ David H. Enjoy the alternative experience!

This week's Fusion Youth Radio show is entitled
History is Dangerous part Two. Tune in and hear some high school students discuss important figures in Black History, such as Stokley Carmichael, Assata Shakur, and Claudette Colvin. There will be short audio docs on why is history is dangerous as well as a guest poet!

As always, tune the radio to 89.3 at 8 PM to hear the harmonious tones of DJ Lincoln’s voice and the sometimes less than harmonious sounds of local music on The Backyard BBQ.  History, community and sound all in an hour.

It was a great week for Capital S Sports, so don’t forget to tune in to Sports Rap this Sunday at 9 PM.  Reilly, Josephine and the gang will be discussing The Olympics, UNC basketball, The Slam Dunk Contest and local snow ball fights. Follow along and join in @dunksbutts.

WXYC still loves you on Monday, when at 9 pm The Outside Track will feature Angel Olsen's new release, Burn Your Fire For No Witness. Olsen is a singer with a voice like a fusion of Catherine Ribeiro's, Patsy Cline's, and Joni Mitchell's. This is her third LP and her first on Jagjaguwar, after releasing Strange Cacti (just her and a guitar, cast in reverb, recorded in her kitchen, on single tracks, 2011) and Half Way Home (her and Emmett Kelly, with a bit of vocal layering, and a bit of percussion, incredibly developed lyrics, 2012) on Bathetic Records.

This week Should
Does Does Radio is bringing in UNC's only photography organization to talk about their community portraits program and give some tips to the amateur photographer in all of us! We'll also be hearing the next installment of Peter Schultz' serial story, premiering our first two poetic album reviews, and playing everyone's favorite music game. Light the fire and tune-in this Wednesday at 9pm!