wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 18:56:17 -0500

Does anyone like February?

On Friday at 9 PM, be with us in spirit as we start the weekend off right with an Inside Track brought you by Osaka-based EM Records. Ten Dubs that Shook the World (1988) is a rare underground record from Australian Anthony Maher (aka Sheriff Lindo). Working with what looked like a fairly primitive recording set up, Maher tweaks various sounds until they take on an uncanny quality. This reissue calls to mind the UK post-punk/reggae scene.

Check out the New Science Experience tonight from ten to midnight if you wanna hear some hot new music! We'll be playing new stuff from Holly Herndon, Cam'ron/A-trak, and locals One Duran and Jerome. We'll also be giving away tickets to Sound Cartel's Sultry Love Hangover. Check out http://www.raleighhousemusic.com/ for more info.

This week on Hell Or High Water, Gina B will be playing Gillian Welch's Revival.  Her debut album, this 1996 release reaches to the past with "an unaffected sincerity and natural grace.  The album's best moments are the work of a gifted singer and songwriter who knows how to communicate the sounds of her heart and soul to others.  Producer T-Bone Burnett gets those sounds on tape with unobtrusive skill. A superb debut" (Mark Deming of AllMusic). Tune in at 1pm on Sunday.

Tune in to Broken Music this Sunday at 2pm to hear selections from a fantastic new 2-CD set of live electronic improvisations documenting a tour in the summer of 2006 whereby Danish noise maker Hitoshi Kojo came to the UK and joined British drone masters Paul Bradley, Jonathan Coleclough and Colin Potter for a series of concerts. The results are a heady series of overlapped drones full of texture and noise.

Greetings all! Be sure to tune into WXYC Reports this Sunday at 5 PM. In the spirit of persuading you to listen in, this week’s theme is I N F L U E N C E. Now, we know you’ve all been either above or below this topic at some point, but don’t let that discourage you from listening. Influence can be more than just a temporary stimulant. This week’s show frames influence as the force that makes us who we are. Our pieces include the impact of first love, the importance of names, picket preaching, how abuse can influence body image, and the legacy of Malcolm X in African American Studies. BE THERE.

Local music must be heard! Tune in at 8 PM on Sunday to hear the Backyard BBQ with your loving host Lincoln S.  All sorts of sounds will occupy our local radio waves, so listen up!

Sports Rap returns after a brief Superbowl hiatus this Sunday at 9 PM.  Join your hosts Reilly, Josephine and Ryan in a conversation about sports, non-sports and anti-sports. This is the Triangle’s only Sports show that isn’t afraid to ask “Why Sports?”

Tune in on Monday night at 9pm for the Outside Track, Guardian Alien’s new album, Spiritual Emergency. GA is the project of prolific drum dude Greg Fox, who is joined on this recording by Alexandra Drewchin (vocals/electronics), former Liturgy guitarist Bernard Gann (guitar), Turner Williams (electrified zither, the shahai baaja) and Eli Winograd (bass). The group migrates from improvisation to improvisation in this nomadic, psychedelic journey.