wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:25:41 -0500

Hi everyone! Look at the cool stuff we are doing on the radio next week! Oh and don't forget...if you want to be a DJ here at WXYC, now's your chance!  We are hiring next week for the Spring Semester!  Come by room 3408 in the Union on Tuesday, January 14th for an Interest Meeting and to sign up for an interview.  Have a great week!

Put the radio on tonight a 9 PM to catch the Inside Track with the self-titled release from 7 Days of Funk (SNOOPZILLA & Dâm-Funk).  Following a logical evolutionary leap, the lion has become the zilla, and has dropped his reggae in favor of returning to gangsta funk with Dâm-Funk heading production. This is album is the result of a seven day search for funk and it delivers, showing us the face of funk future. Laid-back bass with fuzzy, buzzy synths and languorous percussion. Snoop is just as chill and smooooth with his spoken and his raps, while Dâm plays a delightful goofy hype man. The songs are filled with all playful touches, as well, such as cheesy guitar solos, washes of scratchy analog synth and slick touches in the production. The major knock is that it can be a little repetitive, but, depending on your mood, it might just help you settle into the groove.

On tonight's New Science Experience DJ Nicole C is curating an eclectic mix of house an UK bass vibes. Tune in from 10-12 to hear   Omar S or your favorite Beyoncé tune. Get yr dance on y'all!!

1 PM on Sunday brings us Hell Or High Water, where we dig into the Southern Folklife Collection housed in Wilson Library and play some of the fantastic and always interesting archived records held there.  Old-time tunes to folk stories, this show is always a treat!

This Sunday, Broken Music reviews works by Philadelphia-based improviser Charles Cohen. Cohen has been actively contributing to synthesizer music for the past four decades. His primary instrument is the Bucha Music Easel, which he favors for its versatility and intuitive interface. Cohen has participated in a number of free jazz as well as offering live electronic works or theater and dance. Tune in at 2pm.

Love local music? So do we! Join local music expert Lincoln at 8 pm for the Backyard BBQ, where we explore the multifaceted and always excited sounds that have emanated from our town over the years.

Tune in a 9 PM for Sports Rap.  Join Reilly, Sarah and the team for ample discussion about The Six Major Sports.  Politics, economics and personal anecdote are core to the Sports Rap style, so tune in and learn something about Sports Today.

Tune in on Monday for the Outside Track, this week with a new album from Sapphire Slows called Allegoria.  Here we have the first full-length release of Sapphire Slows, the solo ‘bedroom house’ project of Tokyo’s Kinuko Hiramatsu, and it is a beauty. Not unlike labelmates Peaking Lights, Hiramatsu’s sound features light, upbeat percussion, her low-in-the-mix, dreamy vocals, and slightly warped synths that make this sound more like an isolated take on club music than anything you’d hear in a club. But rather than the dubby or overtly psychedelic effects we’re used to on other NNF releases, this almost sounds like it could end up on, say, Italians Do It Better when it really goes at it, but then also can get a little heavier and sound like Pete Swanson might be contributing some of the rhythms. Did I mention her vocals remind me a little bit of Grimes at her most atmospheric, even causing a few spine tingles? In turn mesmerizing, motivating, gripping, and even a little bit haunting, this is a very impressive debut, even if not wholly unlike the rest of NNF’s catalogue.

Arista/Freedom Records is the focus of this week’s Thursday Night Feature.   The label, founded by producer Alan Bates in 1968 before being purchased by Arista, distributed many of the early 1970s jazz world’s cutting edge artists, making their music accessible to fans both in small towns and big cities.  Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp, Cecil Taylor, Stéphane Grapelli, and Julius Hemphill are a handful of the many artists that make up the Arista/Freedom discography.  Will Vizuete hosts this Thursday, 9 to midnight!