wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 18:10:23 -0500

Hi everyone! Hope everyone survived our brrr-frigid week and the accompanying snow.  Anyway here’s what radio on 89.3 looks like for the next week:

Join us tonight at 9 PM on the Inside Track to get a full listen to the new self-titled release from No Right Turn. This is the first remastered re-release of obscure and amazing prog-folk album by Derbyshire band, No Right Turn. Includes some outstanding synth work and groove-driven original songs mixed with their takes on traditional English folk arrangements. Why wouldn’t you???

On tonight's New Science ExperienceDJ One Duran & Lady Fingers will play a mix of house and bass tracks from 10pm to midnight.  House producer and DJ Lady Fingers recently relocated to NC from New Orleans, so this will be her first time on the show!

Hell or High Water takes place every Sunday at 1 PM.  Tune in and listening to the sounds lovingly culled from Wilson Library’s Southern Folklife Collection by a WXYC DJ.  Every week offers extremely unique and rewarding listening.

Tune in at
2pm this Sunday to Broken Music to hear an overview of the works of German composer and cellist Michael von Biel. Born in 1937, von Biel studied with a host of legendary avant-garde figures including Karlheinz Stockhausen, Cornelius Cardew, Joseph Beuys. Their teachings along with his relationships to many seminal Fluxus movement figures helped shape von Biel's long career of creating challenging pieces that straddle both modern and experimental ideals while still staying rooted in classical composition. We will be listening to excerpts from recordings over five decades that will demonstrate his versatility and skill.

In case you didn't know, the
4ruit smoothie is a fairly new monthly interviews show speaking with artists and practitioners doing cool things both within and beyond the faulty confines of the white wall "art world" . WXYC hosts a show the first Sunday of every month from 5-6pm and we are excited to announce that our February 2nd guest will be local performance artist and activist Brittany Chavez ( http://www.brittanychavez.org/ )! Brittany is a genderqueer transnational artist-scholar-activist based between North Carolina and México, and is currently a core troupe member of the internationally-renowned performance troupe La Pocha Nostra ! as well as a second year Ph.D. student at UNC. The show will also feature a guest interviewer, Latino artist Diego Camposeco, who also writes for UNC's Latino magazine Mezcla. Thanks to Diego, the talk will hopefully include some code-switching, or alternation between Spanish and English in the context of a single conversation which is pertinent to both Chavez's work and our community.

Don’t be stupid! Local music at 8 PM with Backyard BBQ protagonist Lincoln S.  Rock, dance, noise, Lincoln’s lovely memories.  Join us this week!

Tune in this Sunday at 9 PM for a very special edition of Sports Rap.  Our sports buddies out there will note that this show takes place during the Super Bowl, perhaps one of the most significant sporting events in the American year. Due to its significance, our regular hosts Reilly, Josephine and Ryan will be at home consuming that event.  In their stead, Grant B and guests will be hosting a one-off series about The Six Major Sports. Please tune in/call in.

Monday Monday Monday: The Outside Track
. Don’t buzz off this Monday night as we play a new release from noise group Sissy Spacek. Unfortunately this band does not feature Sissy Spacek, but it does feature underground noise big-name John Wiese.  Tune in for some veteran ripping and roaring; it’s been a pleasure!