wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 18:20:50 -0400

With the plummeting temperatures, we invite you to turn on the radio to keep your bodies warm.  WXYC has some ~hot programming~ (hah) coming up, so check it out!  Happy Halloween!  Stay spooky.

At 9 pm this Friday (tonight!) the Inside Track broadcasts Kelompok Kampungan's 1980 debut LP, Mencari Tuhan. This proggy folk-rock group hailed from Central Java, Indonesia. The band’s politics got this debut album of theirs, and their concerts, solidly banned by the Suharto regime. Most members of the 12-person group were Indonesian Music Academy alumni, and the group was proficient in traditional acoustic instrumentation of the Indonesian archipelago (mostly Gamelan and other percussion), as well as in bass and electric guitar, violin, and flute. I would bet that they loved Led Zeppelin.

 Whole lot happening on New Science Experience tonight! Tune in from 10-11 pm for a live performance and interview with Durham rap duo Toon & The Real Laww. Then from 11pm-12am is the October edition of NSE's New Music Review. We'll be discussing our -- and soon to be your -- favorite releases put out in the past month.

 This week on Broken Music, we enjoy the works of Japanese composer Mamoru Fujieda. A student of Morton Feldmann, Joji Yuasa, and Gordon Mumma, Fujieda's work is most often regarded as postminimalist. Fujieda utilizes a battery of methods to score his compositions, such as using the electrical currents of flowers as source datas or grafting new material onto existing material in a form he calls "parasitic". His catalog features works for traditional Japanese instruments and classical instruments, as well as electronics. Tune in at 2pm.

Tune in on Sunday at 1 PM for Hell or High Water! This week DJ Katie will play some selections from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, an "American country-folk-rock" band founded about 50 years ago in California.  I'll be focusing on their records from the 1990s in order to find out how a band from Cali managed to squeeze into the genre that ranges from bluegrass to country and stay there for decades. Expect guitar, mandolin, washboard, accordion, and some sweet harmonies.

This Sunday at 5pm tune in to WXYC Reports for an hour-long investigation into  *T O N G U E S*. That's right, this month, our family of producers has come up with five short audio-docs that explore/interpret/probe/&stick-out various TONGUE related adventures. Giggling, cringing, pondering, and smiling sweetly to yourself are guaranteed with every serving of this episode. Check it out!

On this week's Sports Rap hosts Reilly F and Ryan S will talk Late Night with Roy, fantasy basketball, the World Series, and then some. Plus, you won't want to miss our recordings from Thursday's panel discussion on UNC's campus which featured UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham, author Taylor Branch, the makers of the documentary "Schooled: The Price of College Sports," and others. Tune in, participate (@dunksbutts), and slam dunk!

Pay attention to nothing else at 9 pm this Monday, when The Outside Track delivers the stunning and complex mutli-tracked guitar improvisations of Tokyo-based guitarist and composer Takeshi Nishimoto. Lavandula, out now on Berlin label Sonic Pieces, features a new and quite nice set of improvisations. For a pretty long while Nishimoto has tried to create elaborate acoustic improvisations that echo Fahey, Basho and even some bizarre 80s new age music. Despite the sheer number of different levels of composition and instrumentation here, Nishimoto never fails in painting a very intimate and emotionally charged environment between himself and listeners.

Wednesday sees the return of the lovely Global Music Show. Tune in this week forAlternative Energy and Alternative Music in Denmark, Sweden and Germany.”  This program is about how Europeans are transitioning to renewable energy. Many Americans continue to view renewable energy as "a boutique product, cool but otherworldly," as New York Times writer Rosenthal has put it. But some European countries are aggressively pursuing a switch to solar, wind power, and other renewable sources. Germany, for example, now produces more than 20 percent of its electricity from renewables.  Join host Sara Peach, Lecturer for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, for an exploration into the ties between alternative energy and alternative musics.  Tune in at 9 PM!