wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:10:44 -0400

It is generally agreed that the month of October best captures the ethos of WXYC.  We kick off this sacred time with the following:

Turn on the radio tonight at 9 PM to hear the Inside Track.  This week we are featuring the brand-new, explosive release from Daniel Lopatin AKA Oneohtrix Point Never, R Plus SevenLopatin has come a long way since his mid-aughts cosmic synth explorations (which rule); nowadays he is working with intense, sample-based collage ruminations.  Stop by for some vocal manipulation and post-modern indulgence.

Kick off your weekend with 2 hours of sweaty, grooving, and DEEP rhythms on the New Science Experience, Friday nights from 10 to midnight.  This week tune in for two one hour long sets from DJs Nate and Trevyn.  Dance!

On this week's Orange County Special, we'll be initiating a monthly ArtsCenter ticket giveaway.  Listeners will have a chance to win tickets to see/hear/enjoy Down Hill Strugglers (with The Hushpuppies) on Thursday, October 10th.  We'll also be giving away a pair of tix to see The Jon Shain Trio, on the 11th.  More info on events at the Carrboro ArtsCenter can be found at http://artscenterlive.org

This week on Hell Or High Water, to follow up last week's Sacred Harp, Zach G will be doing a second series on "harp" music, featuring the Autoharp, with selected cuts from "Mountain Music Played on the Autoharp" as well as songs from autoharpist and singer Bryan Bowers.  Tune in on Sunday at 1pm!

At 2pm, Broken Music explores the electroacoustic works of French composer Jacques Lejeune. A student of PIerre Schaeffer and François Bayle, Lejeune joined the GRM in 1968, soon leading their "music for images" department. His works follow the trajectory of electroacoustic music from tape composition to synthesis and computer music. Since 1978, Lejeune has taught musique concrete composition through a partnership between the INA-GRM and the Town of Paris.

This Sunday on the Backyard BBQ we are pleased to have Scott Endres (MAKE, Sons, Hem Of His Garment) talking with us about the new release from his solo project The Pod.  Join him and host Lincoln as they play a couple of tracks off of "Faded Memory From A Dying Sun" and discuss the finer things in life such as show tunes, rabbits, kale, Lucky Charms, Newt Gingrich, Faygo, Pop Rocks, Number Theory, the otherness of Detroit, and other sundries.  It should be a real hootenanny!  Tune in at 8 PM to experience resonant tones and laughter.  We will even play music. Thumbs up!

From 9-10PM tune in for Sports Rap as hosts Reilly F, Sarah H, and Ryan S investigate the good, the evil, the profound, and the absurd of sports. This week: Condoleezza Rice on the college football playoff selection committee, football, football, football. Listen live and tweet (@dunksbutts), facebook, or call-in to give your thoughts! Slam dunk!

Grace your Monday with the Outside Track at 9 PM.  This week you’ll hear Promised Land Sound, a baby-aged garage rock from Nashville who wowed label boss Brendan of Paradise of Bachelors when he saw them live.  They have a certain je ne sais quoi that makes them a can’t miss up and coming rock band.

Tune in Wednesday night from 9-10 PM to catch the lovely literati of Should Does Does Radio.  Personal anecdotes, ruminations on childhood, local issues, Dungeons and Dragons, falling in love, it’s all there on SDDR!