wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:39:34 -0500

According to ESPN, this year the Indiana/Michigan rivalry is more important than the UNC/Duke rivalry in basketball. Can I get an "as if?" Also, there is going to be a new surprise on this list. For ever Sunday from 10-midnight the rest of the semester, we're going to have a rotation specialty show. This will be a chance to test out some new ideas and keep the format exciting and fresh for the listener. Each month will be a new topic. This month's is plunderphonics, and keep reading below to find out more!

Anyways, onto tonight's Inside Track. Tune in at 9pm tonight for The new Sublime Frequencies compilations "Pop Yeh Yeh: Psychedelic Rock >From Singapore and Malaysia, 1964-70", which might be helpful to think of as "Candy-Psych Surfabilly" that draws on 60s British and American rock n roll but was also influenced by the Malay, Chinese, Indian, Eurasian and European presence in the musicians' home countries.

Then, stay hype at 10pm for the NSE. Mike S hosts DJ tag team duo Dirty Gypsy and Hennessey from Always Dirty (Raleigh). Taking heavy cues from the likes of Youngsta, Kryptic Minds, Seven, Truth, J:Kenzo, Icicle, Distance and more, they try to maintain the thickest bass music foundation to keep things as deep, dark, and dangerous as possible.

Sunday, tune in at 1pm for Hell or High Water as
James F will be playing selections from Rounder's classic "Old Originals" series, which features field recordings made by Tom Carter and Blanton Owen on a trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains in 1976. You'll hear great North Carolina and Virginia old-time musicians like Albert Hash, Thornton Spencer, John Patterson, Hus Caudill and many more.

Keep it broken at 2pm on Broken Music,
featuring pieces from "I Want The Beatles To Play At My Art Center," an outstanding new collection of archival materials from the illustrious Norwegian art center Henie Onstad Kunstsenter (HOK). Prisma records along with HOK curator Lars Morch Finbroud have compiled two LPs full of heretofore unreleased live works from experimental musicians such as John Cage, Arne Nordheim, Soft Machine and much more, all vividly documenting HOK's past, present and future mission to, as stated in the center's opening in 1968, "take the first step into the future."

As per WXYC tradition, SportsRap will be taking the week off to watch the SuperBowl and have more to talk about next week. This means our internal panel will be made up of a former middle-school football benchwarmer, the only person cut from her middle school basketball team, and probably a few other people who like biking and are turned off by sports on more of a conceptual level. Expect updates on the recent Tata Steel chess tournament and astrology, as well as an attempt to answer the eternal question of "art or sports?"

HERE IT IS. At 10pm on Sunday, tune in for the first installment of Plunderphonics. This project, led by DJ Jayce W, will be focused on intentionally layering and looping sounds to create a deep listening experience
open to the interpretation of the listener. Could this be our next Feedback Farm?!

Then on Monday at 9pm on the Outside Track,
fans of cosmic, new-age-sounding acts (Dolphins Into the Future, Julian Lynch) will enjoy Monopoly Child Star Searchers, the project of Spencer Clark. "The Garnet Toucan" is a melting, vision quest of an album featuring synth-sloppy exotica reminiscent of wood flutes, chimes and animal hide drums.

Representing team sports (but not just team-sports), always and forever,
JJ