wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Member Appreciation Day and some new fun stuff, plus sunscreen education!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Member Appreciation Day and some new fun stuff, plus sunscreen education!
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:04:28 -0500

Hi friends,

Sorry for the double e-mail week, but I don't want you to forget that we're having Member Appreciation Day this weekend! Saturday the 22nd, receive a 10% discount off of all your purchases plus yummy samples from 12-4! I won't be able to be here for this one, but you should still come! Say hello to the board of directors as they bag up your groceries, too! (How many boards of grocery stores do that?)

New in Housewares!
We heard about this cool lunch box system a while ago thanks to this web-site http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/2006/03/my-where-did-you-get-that-lovely-lunch.html And now we sell them at Wheatsville!
For starters, we are carrying the
Laptop Lunch System
Laptop Lunch Bento Box Set
Large Stainless Steel Lunch Jar
Plastic Water Bottle
Large Stainless Steel Drink Bottle
Small Stainless Steel drink bottle

This is a great way to take healthy and delicious homemade food to school or work! Although we love it when you use our deli for lunch, it can be much more cost effective for you to make your own lunch at home! These cool lunch boxes may help you do just that!
here's the link to the lunchbox site. Member Appreciation Day could be the perfect day for you to snap one of these right up! These are in the front of the store next to the entrance door.
Here is a link to the company's web-site http://www.laptoplunches.com

We still have our excellent 30th Anniversary Tee Shirts. If you haven't gotten one (or more!) you may want to think about it.
We also have some other new Wheatsville logo products like water bottles that will fit in your bike water holder! Check these out in the land of housewares!

New in Bulk!
Organic raw trail mix called "Go take a hike."
It's a light energizing snack perfect for this ridiculously hot weather! Hunza Goji Berries, Hunza Mulberries, Hunza Golden Raisins, cacao nibs, cashews and pistachios! They call it a Raw, Power snack!

Co-op Advantage items on sale in July include:
Organic Valley Soy Beverage $2.89
Little Bear Tortilla Chips 2 for $5
Lightlife Veggie Dogs $2.49
Rudi's Organic Hamburger and Hot Dog buns $2.69
Late July Organic Crackers $1.99
Sanfaustino Effervescent Calcium Water $1.89
Stacy's Pita Chips $2.29 (I really like the cinnamon sugar ones, but the plain ones are pretty fine, too!)
Clif Bar and Luna Bars on sale for 99¢!!!
Follow your Heart Vegenaise $2.29 (My favorite mayo.. great with Tofurky slices for a delicious sandwich!)
Nature's Gate Organics Deodorant sticks $3.49 (these have some really nice and unusual scents!)
Shadow Lake Castile Soap $3.99

Sunscreens!
Niki, our Health Team Manager, developed the following fact sheet for staff education, but I thought that you all might find it informative, too!

Sunscreen agents are used to prevent sunburn. Limiting your exposure to the sun and using sunscreen agents when in the sun may help prevent early wrinkling, skin damage and skin cancer. There are two kinds of sunscreen agents: chemical and physical. Chemical sunscreen agents protect you from the sun by absorbing the ultraviolet (UV) and visible sun rays, while physical sunscreen agents reflect, scatter, absorb, or block these rays.

UVA rays constitute 90-95% of the ultraviolet light reaching the earth. They have a relatively long wavelength and are not absorbed by the ozone layer. UVA light penetrates the furthest into the skin and is involved in the initial stages of suntanning. UVA tends to suppress the immune function and is implicated in premature aging of the skin.
UVB rays are partially absorbed by the ozone layer and have a medium wavelength. They do not penetrate the skin as far as the UVA rays do and are the primary cause of sunburn. They are also responsible for most of the tissue damage which results in wrinkles and aging of the skin and are implicated in cataract formation. All forms of ultraviolet radiation are believed to contribute to the development of skin cancer.

• A Sunscreen is a product with an SPF of 2 and higher.
• A Sunblock is a product with a physical block and an SPF 12 or higher

Sunscreen products may contain one ingredient that provides protection against the UVA sun rays and another ingredient that protects you from the UVB sun rays, which are more likely to cause sunburn than the UVA sun rays. Ideally, coverage should include protection against both UVA and UVB sun rays.

Choose a sunscreen based on the following: the amount of protection you need, the activity in which you plan to engage and your skin type. For daily use, a broad-spectrum UVB/UVA sunscreen with SPF of 15 is adequate. For more intense sun exposure such as outdoor recreational activities or when spending time at high altitudes, a broad-spectrum UVB/UVA sunscreen with SPF of 30 that is waterproof and sweat proof is best. Waterproof sunscreens tend to stay on the skin longer while sweat proof sunscreens usually don’t cause burning sensation of the eyes when sweating.

Skin Type (complexion) Appropriate Sunscreen Agent
Very fair—Always burns easily; rarely tans
Use SPF 20 to 30
Fair—Always burns easily; tans minimally
Use SPF 12 to 20
Light—Burns moderately; tans gradually (light brown)
Use SPF 8 to 12
Medium—Burns minimally; always tans well (moderate brown)
Use SPF 4 to 8
Dark—Rarely burns; tans profusely (dark brown)
Use SPF 2 to 4

Hope you have a great week!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville General Manager and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Member Appreciation Day and some new fun stuff, plus sunscreen education!, Dan Gillotte, 07/19/2006