unclug - Re: [unclug] growing the LUG

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Cristobal Palmer <cmpalmer AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] growing the LUG
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:57:54 -0400

> One suggestion would be rather than trying to get the group together first,
> instead come up with a list of topics and people willing to present them
> and gauge interest on this list or ctc. It's awkward once you have a
> regular meeting set up when there's nothing much to talk about. AFS issues
> would likely be a good topic (authentication, nat issues as well as
> installation issues). Integrating samba into AD or into AFS would be
> another, I think, as would firewalls/attack mitigation.

Please do send me an email if one of those topics sounds interesting. I would
ask that you put 'meeting topic' in the subject line. If you saw one of the
above and thought "that's simple..." then perhaps you could volunteer to
present?

Keep in mind that the first such meetings won't be until the fall unless we
have a significant number of faculty/staff interested in meeting outside of
the regular term, so don't hold back thinking that you you're too busy right
now.

Are there other presentations that people would come out to see if _only_
someone would give them? I know I'd love to attend a presentation on mail
(clients, encryption, GPG, etc. -- what works with what campus systems and
what doesn't)

> As an aside, in terms of student exposure to linux, it might be worth
> making a list of courses that do at least touch on it.

Who would be good to talk to about that? Surely there's a better way than
browsing the Bulletin.

> And, yes, I realize that ideas are cheap and it's the work that's hard. (;

Keep the ideas coming. No use me doing hard work that doesn't get anywhere.
Better to get help laying a solid foundation.

Peace,
CMP