unclug - Re: [unclug] cause for concern?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Cristobal M Palmer <cmpalmer AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] cause for concern?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:15:50 -0400 (EDT)

Booting into Debian, it would tell me the filesystem had errors, and the
forced auto-check would fail. It would tell me to run fsck manually. When
I did that, it would get about 9% through the check (whether I used -c -c
or any other options) and then give me a read-error for sector 60477292.

This error would repost about every 3 seconds, and CNTRL-z would not stop
e2fsck. I ended up killing the computer cold about three times (to try
again with a different set of options for e2fsck) before I gave up and
went to Knoppix. I was expecting some ominous output when I ran e2fsck
again, but it just fixed the inodes... breezing right past 60477292.

Thanks for the suggestion on the smart tools, btw. I'll look into that.

The only odd behaviour right now is related to apt-get. Since the fix, I
haven't been able to get updates, even though I checked
/etc/apt/sources.list and made sure it has the right addresses. Otherwise
everything seems smooth. No slowness. No hanging.

For those of you not familiar with Knoppix--it's GREAT. I was able to get
online and google up some answers to questions I had about e2fsck that
weren't in the man entry. I was able to run Gaim (to ask questions of my
comp. sci. major friend at UNC-Charlotte). I didn't have to enter any
settings to get it to mount my drives. I didn't have to give any
settings to get internet. It's pretty powerful. They have a copy at the
help desk in the SILS Library in Manning, if you're too lazy to download
and burn your own.
.--.
|o_o |
||_/ |