unclug - Re: [unclug] cause for concern?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Mark Reed <markreed AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] cause for concern?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:53:29 -0400

Have you tried using smartctl to test the drive? This is a utility to access the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting
Technology (SMART) system built into most disks now. The idea behind this is to be able to predict some types of disk failure. I'm pretty new to this and have just recently gotten involved in a project that is looking into this.

The web page is <http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/>
and see the first link to the article in Linux Journal by Bruce Allen. This covers running the basic tests to look for pre failue.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had any good/bad experiences with smart or smartmontools.

cheers,
Mark Reed