unclug - [unclug] cause for concern?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Cristobal M Palmer <cmpalmer AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] cause for concern?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:28:26 -0400 (EDT)

I'm running Debian and WinXP on a CCI-issue T30 (three years old), and
yesterday I nearly suffered a myocardial infarction. I thought I had a bad
sector on the Linux partition. I could boot up in Windows just fine,
but--needless to say--everything important is on the Debian partition(s).

I ended up booting from a CD (huzzah for Knoppix!) and running e2fsck -y
/dev/hda6.

That seems to have fixed everything.

So my question is this:

Do I need to look into replacing my HD? Should I be frantically backing
everything up (not that I haven't been keeping backups, mind you)? If the
answer to either of these is yes, what's the easy/cheap way?

Thanks, and remember the sage advice of Mr. Wozniak: "Never trust a
computer you can't throw out a window."

.--.
|o_o |
||_/ |