unclug - Re: [unclug] Red Hat AS from RHN

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "John W. Sopko Jr." <sopko AT cs.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Red Hat AS from RHN
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:48:45 -0400

We have used all three versions, the original rhel-3 release, update1 and update2. As far as I can tell the latest update has all the patches rolled into it including the lates kernel for that update. This speeds up running up2date considerably since so many darn patches have come out since the original release.

We download the iso's, burn cdroms and then unpack the cdroms on a local disk to be used by kickstart. As updates come out we replace with the
latest update release.

Jeff Bollinger wrote:
Just downloaded the RedHat AS v. 3 from the RedHat Network w/ the campus site license (4 ISOs!). Anyone know about the "Update" ISOs? There seems to be two updates (1 and 2) that have another 4 ISOs each. Are these actual distributions or just updates? Is there an impetus to install the update ISOs, and if so, is there a special order in which they have to be installed?

Thanks,
Jeff