typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Tobi Vail <tobivail AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:37:47 -0700

also, re: women and American hardcore
yeah it was super male-dominated, but us feminists were there, on the
stage, in the pit, putting on shows, producing radio shows, making
fanzines...would calling ourselves feminists have made survival in
that setting more probable? I mean, it was a struggle to exist on my
own terms in the 80's hardcore scene, a struggle for respect and
finding my own voice...but I was a feminist and there were many of us,
we just didn't all know each other existed yet