typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Kara Kvaran <geeblegee AT yahoo.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the list, just joined today, but I had a question I've been thinking about and I'd like to get some other opinions.

Is it fair to say that the strongest feminist punk voices of the 1980s came from European bands? If so, why do you think that is?

I've been thinking that it's a combination of the American backlash against feminism of the 1980s and the proliferation of hyper-masculinized hardcore within the punk communities but I feel like I'm missing something (or perhaps totally off base!).

Thanks,
  - K