typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: ruth novaczek <nova15 AT btinternet.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] American vs. European feminist punk
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:02:16 +0100

good point kara

the u.s scene was different, while the euro bands were more 'serious' the u.s produced a more playful sound, e.s.g, the bush tetras,(who did 'the devil lives in my husbands body'?) which i think is the result of being more inclined toward weird self _expression_. but segregation probably helped prevent really culturally mixed _expression_ (check lisa jones on this and her take on 'living color')

in europe there were german bands, brit bands, they didn't go multicultural until much later, in the uk they did ska, which is ambivalent anyway

of course the u.s was never really multicultural, it was just the bigger picture of america, segregated, europe played the weirdo nationalist card then moved on to a sort of anxious multiculturalism
there were a few really mixed bands at certain times, within the avant garde, mixed race was big in the u.k
anyway this is a long story and not yet written