typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Sharon Cheslow <decomposition AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 02:02:02 -0800

Really well said Weasel. I think it's why I was so enamored of the Slits when I first heard them. It was like deciphering a puzzle. They had great, unique musical ideas. And the way they progressed was so incredible, from their early chaotic punk sounds to the freer, jazzier, reggae-ish sounds. Ari also deserves credit for her work with New Age Steppers who were light years ahead of their time.

I can relate to what Robin and Annette write about the chaos of just getting up on stage and PLAYING. One of the things that was so great about punk was that the stage became a place where you could experiment. You didn't have to know how to be in a band. You could just get up there and play. Even if you knew how to play your instrument, it was an entirely different world to get up on stage to play, and most girls didn't know who to navigate that world. It was very liberating.

I'm so envious of Robin and Annette for getting to see the Slits live at the Roxy! Thanks for all the history.

Sharon