typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Annette <misschief AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] THE SLITS REFORM FOR NEW SHOWS
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:14:51 -0600

To those with any interest whatsoever:

I THINK (I've decided to enter any posts with 'i think' or 'it's my opinion' so I won't irritate anyone by sounding like a Know-It-All . . . my tone may have set people off  .  .  . what should be a fact-finding discussion between two people who shared [part of] the same scene but not, apparently,  the same view, becomes an 'argument' because she thinks she knows, and I think I know, so bump go the heads). Anyway, I THINK . . .

crap, forgot what it was I was thinking . . . oh yeah:

First, Mike and J. Neo offer really, REALLY good analyses of 'can or can't play', that omnipresent and infuriating response that still won't go away. Thank you Mike/Neo! Classic!

Now, some further impressions:

TO ME,

No matter how much the Slits may have 'practiced' before the Roxy gigs (the first shows I saw), they sounded as though they had never practiced in their lives . . . it was chaos and anarchy, more chaos and anarchy than ANY other band at the Roxy . . . and in 1977, chaos and anarchy were very good things indeed. One of the main tenets of punk: DON'T PRACTICE! JUST PLAY! And some bands stayed pretty close to this; oh, they practiced a little but basically many took the stage with little more than great music sensibilities, a precise understanding of what they were part of, and, playing with unbridled passion -- you got punk rock.

But, alas, the Slits actually did sound pretty awful. Seriously. Even some punks had to hold their hands over their ears. There was little perceptible beat among them, and not always Palmolive's 'fault'; Ari's vocals ranged from charm (a bit of a stretch) to all out screeching that was . . . electrifying, but only sometimes in a good way. The sets were spilled & spattered . . . . If you think the bands on the Roxy album were rough . . . well, maybe I should describe no more.

So, why were they so GREAT? And great they were. Like I said, it was unadulterated noise/chaos/anarchy which was pure punk, but, obviously, not just any band could pull this off . . .the marvelous Slits did though,  because running through these bizarre early sets something wonderful was; it was the inspiration; the courage; the musical brilliance that was to come. It was the jelly that jelled; and oh my did it ever: one word: CUT.

No one would have bet a pence on it at the time!

But back to the Roxy or thereafter. Without being too specific, it was decided that the band wasn't going to get any better with Palmolive drumming. This hurt my feelings because I knew her the best; was very fond of her and her sister, lovely people; and also it seemed to me to be 'selling out' for musical refinement instead of adherence to pure punk.  (So you can guess, my heart was pretty much breaking all the way thru 1977 as one group after another 'sold out'. It took awhile for me to see that maybe one of the major strengths of punk was that bands COULD practice; music COULD progress . . . and punk would not die.) The fact that some of the best music in the world emerged didn't hurt much, either.

Anyway, CUT was cut, and in and around this time the group became listenable, the songs recognizable, the experience enjoyable; and the girls remained our giant Slits. As for the guy -- sorry -- I never looked at him, really. Kind of denied it. Wished Palmolive could've played that good . . .

I'm gonna shut up now and see how many people tell me how wrong I am about all this.

Not really.

I loved the Slits. I loved little Ari (she was very young then, 15? 16?), she was so kind to me and I think to everyone; she never shut anybody up or out but always welcomed us into her world of joy and rebellion. She was a MAJOR leader of punk rock at the time, full of ideas, a live-wire presence at the Roxy  and, to me, pretty much punk personified.

But the band was beyond Ari. The four girls in front of us -- Palmolive thwacking away, Viv into her instrument with serious concentration; Tessa stoic and doing her best with the bass, Ari roping in the crowd . . . ALL were the face and body of the Slits. You couldn't keep your eyes on any one of them for long, you didn't want to miss a thing any of them did; they were a beautiful, messy, intimate, intimidating, innocent and massive FOURsome . . .

Punk in pink? Yep, they never aped the boys, they were all girl all of the time.

today's incarnation, I guess, may be insignificant in comparison -- you tell me -- but THEN . . . well, can any of us imagine a musical world without the magical Slits?

gosh it's scary to hit that 'reply all' -- innit? Close my eyes, cross my fingers . . . hmmm, can't hit it that way . . . ok, open my eyes, shiver me timbers  . . . well, there are pirates about. . . heave ho and here goes