typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Jason Gross <perfect AT furious.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:11:03 -0500

It's funny that it never occurred to me that the KRS reissues would inspire bands to follow in their footsteps but if it has, I'm really gratified to hear that (also when I heard "Mind Your Own Business" in a Will Farrell movie, I thought "God, that's so cool!"). I thought they were meant for the artists to get financial and historic recognition and for old fans, it would be a way to have them connect with the music again without paying E-Bay prices and for new or potential fans, it could be a way for them to discover and enjoy this music.

As for newer bands, I second the love for Love of Diagrams, Mika Miko (great show at this past SxSW), Be Your Own Pet (saw them open for Arctic Monkeys), The Grates and Yo Majesty (playing at the Knit at month's end) and add to the list Headless and Fur Cups for Teeth.

Best,
Jason

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
Crazed by the Music blog:
<http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic/>