typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Mairead Case" <mairead.case AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:41:04 -0500

The Zine Archive and Publishing Project (ZAPP), is a zine library in Seattle that has a ton of riot grrl and as-inspired-by zines. It's free to browse and they've stuff to make your own (or xerox the pre-existing) too.

Unfortunately there've been some snags with the mother ship, the Richard Hugo House ("mothership" because it houses ZAPP in its basement, and pays utilities), so ZAPP is open much less often than it used to be. If anyone's travelling through the area and wants to check it out, let me know and I'll see if I can hook it up.

Also, the Coughs aren't around anymore and they're not really riot grrl (although some of Anya's quotes resonate within), but still they're pretty awesome: http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/coughs.html.

M.