typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] The impact of Punk on women?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Lydia Beilby" <dancethedada AT hotmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] The impact of Punk on women?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:54:05 +0000

Hi there everyone..

My name is Lydia and I live in Edinburgh, Scotland. I am presently writing my University dissertation on 1970's punk, in terms of its impact on female members. Specifically, I'm exploring how the movement created a climate within which women were unshackled of female stereotypes and were thus free to create their own, absolutelyuninhibited and individual identity. So if anyone has anything to add that relates to the debate, I'd love to hear from you.

Something I'm trying hard to figure out is why were people so threatened by female Punks? was it simply that they feared women who would rebel against their socially deemed roles as carers and nurturers?

Look forward to hearing your view, thanks for your time.
Lydia

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here. http://messenger.msn.co.uk