typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] riffRAG Presents Queer Music Videos At Le Petit Versailles September 17

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Eleanor W." <killerfemme AT yahoo.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] riffRAG Presents Queer Music Videos At Le Petit Versailles September 17
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:45:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Typical Girls List,
for those of you in the NYC area, I invite you all to
come check out this video program that the queer,
feminist art magazine I co-edit will be presenting in
a community garden on Saturday. The videos and music
videos presented feature much typicalgirls-esque
music.
Thanks!
xox,
eleanor

VIDEO SHOW
riffRAG presents an evening of queer music videos at
LE PETIT VERSAILLES
346 East Houston Street (between Avenues B and C)
Saturday September 17, 2005
FREE ADMISSION
7:00pm Reception
8:00pm Screening

Bro, the Boss said it best when he droned, “57
channels and nothing on.” Even the new all gay, all
the time networks Logo and Here cannot satisfy me.
Because when I crave something other than yet another
documentary about lesbian grandmothers and gay male
choruses, something more light and whimsical, well,
where can I turn to? Not to MTV, where my desire for
masculine bodies can only be quenched by bloated frat
boys and the T&A belongs to decidedly straight plastic
dolls. Nah, I don’t want any of that. Instead, I crave
Lucas Michael’s subversive camp in LM2, the sweet punk
rock crush of Ji-Sung Kim’s How Fluttering, and the
sexy interaction between a young artfag and his Life
Drawing mentor in Erica Chough’s School Boy Art.

riffRAG presents an evening of queer music videos.
Although some of these works are not strictly
classified as “music video,” music and sound play
crucial parts in their narrative, underlining and
enhancing their meaning. They don’t illustrate; they
illuminate.

Films/videos to be screened (Running time: approx. 55
minutes):

If You Want It (Giles O’Dell, 6 min., video, 2003)
An animated music video for a Portland-based queer
group that channels Dr. Seuss and births a new kind of
nastiness. (Music by Scream Club)

LM2 (Lucas Michael, 4 min., video, 2003)
LM2 is a “drag upon drag” performance of empowerment
where the drag queen becomes the voice (the “real”),
and Liza Minelli becomes my impersonator, being forced
to lipsynch to my voice. The song‘s meaning, an anthem
of survival and optimism in the face of life’s/love’s
obstacles, is thus usurped by this reversal of roles.
(LM) (Music by Lucas Michael)

School Boy Art (Erica Cho, 12 min., Super 8, 2004)
Franz's dream is to attend a real art school. He draws
religiously and packs his sketchbook with anatomy
studies in preparation for Portfolio Day. Will the
inscrutable Professor pass or fail him? This tape
highlights a queer female actor’s performance as an
elder male professor teaching a young queer boy how to
draw as a stage for the student’s first sexual
experience. (EC) (Music by D’Argento)

Clay (A Would Be Ghost Town) (Sara Mithra, 7:30 min.,
animation, 2005)
To temper the grief of a lost parent, young Emma
cultivates a garden in 1880 New Mexico. She searches
her landscape for Pueblo artifacts amidst mining
development. Might her companion, Corrine, unburden
her sorrow? This tape examines the loss suffered by
oppressed groups when confronted with the alternating
drive to preserve endangered culture (by the
scientist) or to ransack the terrain (by the white
settler). The disappearing frontier ensures the need
for (indigenous or) queer historical reclamation in an
atmosphere of grief. (SM) (Music by Mirah)

How Fluttering (Ji-Sung Kim, 4 min., Super 8, 2003)
Crushing out and on the run to a punky soundtrack in a
Super-8 and animated tale. Yes, love can still be fun.
(Music by Thee Headcoatees)

Agent X: Report (Mishann Lau, 5:30 min., video, 2002)
Trapped in a world of secret agents and operatives,
survival depends on success, and success is a finicky
lover. Agent X: Report is a glimpse into a world of
neo-codewords and disguises as thick as sunglasses at
night. Shot on mini DV with only available lighting,
Agent X: Report is a send up of the traditional spy
caper meets 80’s music video with a dash of Hong Kong
spice. (Music by navel4eve)

Maybe Never (But I’m Counting the Days) (Nguyen Tan
Hoang, 15 min., video, 1996)
"‘Maybe Never’ restages both a multitude of narratives
about the loss of innocence and the changing nature of
sexual fantasy and activity in the age of AIDS….While
the question of Asian American identity is never
specifically addressed, Nguyen’s casting of Asian
Americans as the objects of desire, the creators of
fantasy and the participants in erotic exchanges with
one another produces a distinctive aesthetic which
firmly incorporates Asian American bodies,
perspectives and imaginations within a contemporary
sexual landscape of risk, desire, regret and
creativity." –Eve Oishi, "Bad Asians: New Film and
Video by Queer Asian American Artists,"
Countervisions: Asian American Film Criticism

riffRAG highlights the extraordinary work that
emerging artists across the country are creating which
often slips under the radar of the art world. The
website features artists working in different mediums
and contexts who have distinguished themselves through
political activism, artistic vision, and creative
determination. Please visit www.riffrag.org.