typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The impact of Punk on women?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Michael Howes <mhowes AT baptismofsolitude.org>
  • To: "Lydia Beilby" <dancethedada AT hotmail.com>, typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The impact of Punk on women?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:20:29 -0700

My name is Lydia and I live in Edinburgh, Scotland. I am presently writing
my University dissertation on 1970's punk, in terms of its impact on female
members. Specifically, I'm exploring how the movement created a climate
within which women were unshackled of female stereotypes and were thus free
to create their own, absolutelyuninhibited and individual identity. So if
anyone has anything to add that relates to the debate, I'd love to hear from
you.

I just watched "Punk Attitude" last night, it's a documentary on the history of punk. They do touch on new wave and no wave and mention a number of no wave bands.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446765/

in particular Ari Up's comments specifically on women in the scene. I loved her quote about how the women in the Slits were just different in every way from the standards setup for women.
Also Chrissie Hynde is a main speaker through the whole thing.
Poly Styrene came across as not even liking the whole punk thing

Henry Rollins's comments about the tough guy skin head stuff like Agnostic Front being very home erotic was great

mike