sm-security - Re: [SM-Security] [SM-Discuss] A few words about hardened grimoire

sm-security AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Security bugs are reported here via bugzilla

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-security <sm-security AT lists.ibiblio.org>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Security] [SM-Discuss] A few words about hardened grimoire
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:10:09 -0700

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:47:34PM +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:

> > So the question is : do you want
> > some/all of these features in devel, and which ones ?
> >

> There are some problems with security/hardened patches. The big one is
> that usually they are not updated immediately with new version of
> applications. So you can choose up-to-date version of application or its
> stale version with security patch. Of course some users prefer new
> version another prefer "secure" version.
> If we integrate these security features into normal grimoire we will
> have to add next VERSIONs into DETAILS of spells. Stable, devel, cvs and
> for example selinux version.
> We need more developers for it. It is easy to add security patch to
> apllication once or twice. But keep them up-to-date and test them with
> all options it is a lot of work.

Agreed for the most part. We want to keep stuff that doesn't require
patches/version separation mainline, and we can keep "hardened" going
off to the side until the patches get integrated into the mainline
if/when they do.

Or we can make a spell-hardened spell with the lower version and setup
providers if it becomes a small enough grimoire as to not make sense
separately.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733