sm-security - [SM-Security] A few words about hardened grimoire

sm-security AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Security bugs are reported here via bugzilla

  • From: Thomas HOUSSIN <thomas.houssin AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-security <sm-security AT lists.ibiblio.org>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Security] A few words about hardened grimoire
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:41:31 +0200

Hi all,

You may have heard about the hardened grimoire. The goal of this
grimoire is to add various security features to Source Mage : for
example support of Stack Smashing Protector (
http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/), full support of
grsecurity, PaX, etc. See
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Hardened+Grimoire for more
about it.

I began to work on this a while ago. I didn't change anything in
perforce for a long time, but installed a test machine (which I didn't
have anymore) and tested lots of spells (including kde, gnome, etc). I
didn't notice any major problems ; next step now would be to integrate
this work in the devel grimoire. This would bring nice new features,
but also more work and bugs reports, especially at the beginning (and
especially I guess the non-executable pages feature in PaX), more than
security team alone can handle. So the question is : do you want
some/all of these features in devel, and which ones ?

Thomas

--
Thomas Houssin

Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux (http://www.sourcemage.org)
Key fingerprint = 3CB8 3FC4 840D B272 E623 BCB8 54DB F4E3 4240 4C36
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x42404C36