sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: SourceMage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 10:22:36 -0600

Mages,

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 10:34:25AM +0100, Treeve Jelbert wrote:

> I just looked at the contents of the stable grimoire
>
> I see lots of ancient versions.

I'm seeing the same thing. I'd been meaning to give Source Mage another
try. Long ago I said I'd give it another try if anyone ever did the web
site justice. It was hard to take Source Mage seriously with the previous
website which didn't look like it belonged to Source Mage.

I tried an install using the "new" ISO image about a year or so ago. I
didn't get very far. Recently I performed an install under VirtualBox using
the chroot install method documented on the web site. Everything was going
fairly well until I got to the post-install phase. Trying to follow the
steps to generate new SSH keys suggested in the motd message resulted in a
broken sshd. If I remember correctly it was due to a summon failure because
of the spell version. Fortunately I'd taken a VirtualBox snapshot before
that. So I skipped that step and moved on to the post-install instructions
on the web site. The smgl-setup man page referenced in the post-install
documentation doesn't appear to exist. I skipped that step and moved on. I
got through the update essential spells step. Before attempting the sorcery
rebuild I installed a few things I like to have, like vim and zsh. I'm now
trying the suggested sorcery rebuild and am seeing a lot of summon failures
due to stable grimoire outdated spell versions.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.