sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Compressed filetype detection (Bug #16011)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Compressed filetype detection (Bug #16011)
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 21:23:29 +0200

On Sunday 15 of May 2016 15:45:47 Ismael Luceno wrote:
> On 15/May/2016 13:29, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 of May 2016 16:12:34 Ismael Luceno wrote:
> > > I would like to hear opinions about this implementation and any ideas
> > > about how it could be improved.
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see an improvement here. When we
> > get in the same situation next time, how will we be able to ensure the
> > user updates this script first? Seems easier with a spell
> > (force_depends).
> Good point. However, it seems to me that we're always going to run
> into this kind of problem
So what does the script bring to the table then?

> because we don't have any way to force
> a minimum version, if we could, we may be able to solve this thru
> the base-system spell, and an upgrade guide with a big warning about
> making extra sure base-system is up to date, or perhaps a way for a
> grimoire to have dependencies itself, that might be even better.
But we do have a way for enforcing minimum versions, it just has to be done
at
the spell level. Depend on file in all of the xz-using spells and
force_depends
on it if the installed version is not good enough. We already have some code
in grimoire FUNCTIONS for this: is_version_less and
simple_version_check_force_depends (which should really be using the former).

Sorcery could always force an update of basesystem, but that'd be pretty
disruptive, since it includes the toolchain, potentially starting a cascade.
subset could work, but what else should be on the list? This is probably the
only chance for a clean solution in the long run. Adding depends on the
script
or spell would potentially never end.

And really, file has supported xz for a long while (late 2011 or earlier), so
I'm surprised you managed to hit the problem at all.

LP
--
To err is humour
www.gemrb.org